History

Churchill Drug Warehouse

Churchill Drug Warehouse

Rinderknecht’s history began in 1880, when German cabinetmaker Theodore Stark settled in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. After gaining wide respect for his carpentry skill and old-world craftsmanship, he founded the Theodore Stark Construction Company. He and his brother, Robert, contributed their talents to such Cedar Rapids landmarks as the Paramount Theatre, St. Paul’s Methodist Church, and Franklin, McKinley and Roosevelt schools.

Richard Rinderknecht began working for the Stark Company as a young man. In 1933 he partnered with the sons of Theodore and Robert to reorganize the business as the Stark Building Company. In 1941 he bought the remaining family interests and formed the R. W. Rinderknecht Company. He served as company president until his retirement in 1968.

In 1971 the company reorganized as Rinderknecht Associates, Inc., to allow increased ownership by key employees. In 1992 Rinderknecht adopted a new vision and mission focused on total quality principles and complete customer satisfaction. Today’s employee-owners take great pride in continuing to deliver the quality workmanship and excellent customer service that have made us the area’s premier general contractor.

In more than a century of service, Rinderknecht has built commercial facilities of all kinds and degrees of complexity. Many long-term clients have come to us for renovation projects and new construction as their needs have changed. We have completed multiple projects for area hospitals and health care organizations, school districts, churches and local businesses. We have also worked on countless projects for area industries, utilities and municipal governments.

As we look forward, we are dedicated to providing complete construction management services, seasoned experience and strong leadership for every project we undertake. Moreover, we are committed to meeting the challenge of delivering quality results on time and within budget for each client.

"Some of the most important buildings in the city are ones built by Rinderknecht Associates, Inc."

—Cedar Rapids Prologue and Promise: One Hundred and Fifty Years of Cedar Rapids Progress, Cedar Rapids, Iowa: WDG Publishing, 1998.

Past PresidentsPast Presidents

From left to right:
Gerry Friauf (1999 to 2002)
George Branstetter (1979 to 1984)
Tom Amosson (2002 to 2014)
Darrell Schumacher (1968 to 1979)
Florian Goedken (1984 to 1994)
LaVerne Flagel (1994 to 1999)

Front center:
Richard Rinderknecht (1941-1968)

Current President

Scott F. Friauf

Comments are closed.